Happiness is dry feet…

Another little Dynamo – this time we make sure that no water enters the basement and we”ll install a structural connection family at the bottom of the wall that joins basement wall and foundation slab together.

In Revit terms – positioning a line based family at the center line of the bottom of a wall.

That are the walls

Noname

This is the Dynamo:

Capture.png

The workflow:

Capture

The result:

Noname

Let’s quickly dissect the Dynamo:

This part only created the User Interface and if you want to know about that – please let me know.

Here is the more beefy part:

Noname

At first we need to get al faces from the walls and identify the bottom ones:

Noname

Very cool custom node – thanks to the Clockwork package

Next we need to get the perimeter curves of those surfaces:

Noname

Here we find the points to construct a line to place our family along:

Noname

Family placed, backed so that the next run will not remove already placed items.

Noname

And the result:

Noname

And life is good again…

Advertisements
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Zoo time…

Well – another challenge brought forward: find the contact surface between two joined walls and place a line-based family onto it.. think of this like a structural connection element that keeps a CMU wall connected to a cast in place wall.

Here’s the bigger picture:

Capture.png

Let’s dissect the dynamo:

Noname

This part utilizes the Data-Shapes Package to build a user interface to select the walls and the connecting family type. The result of this lokks like that:

Noname

After selecting the elements we go into the main part of the script: first we get the geometric intersection of the surfaces of the wall…

Noname

Now we extract the intersecting surface and construct a line use their u,v lines:

Noname

Now that we have that we can place the family:Noname

And the end result is:

Noname

Family placed… depending how fancy you want to be you could add a load of model detail into the family… maybe a later post…

But for now – life is good…

 

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Read the fine print

Printing a sheet set from Revit can be tedious, especially when you want to have a specific naming convention or such…

Let’s look at this Dynamo:

Capture

Simply straightforward thanks to the Archi-lab_Grimshaw node:

Noname

And it gives us a directory full of PDFs – and we do not like the default naming at all…

Noname

So – time for the next Dynamo exercise – grab those files, rename them according to criteria we set, move them to a new location:

Capture

What we do here is basically simple – we first construct a filename based on a set of criteria – target folder, Sheet Number, Sheet Name:

Noname

Then we simply move the files providing the new names:

Noname

And the result:

Noname

That’s how we like it…

And life is good…

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Hurry on sundown…

A summary of this week – first of all, I just love silly error messages and our good old Revit app is full of them. Like this:

Noname

Yes, really, I want to print a single sheet as a single sheet. Sure, that is just a little slip of developers attention, but – well – you know – this software is supposed to cost money. Would you tolerate this on your brand new Mercedes Benz? “Are you sure you want to drive me?” – comical at best…

No new Dynamo so far this week, sorry, too much other stuff going on…

From the department of “Tips and Tricks”: we got in a DWG that would violently refuse to display in Revit:

Noname

Your keen eye might be able to see the one pixel – this is calling for trouble… so Wblock stuff out and clean it up

Noname

Now the DWG looks like this

Noname.png

Not too bad – lets get it into Revit:

Noname.png

Nothing… long story short – the DWG had stuff > 33km in z – direction and that made Revit just tell me to well.. f$#* myself…

Noname

Flattening a botched up DWG is not as simple as it sounds… any comments welcome but we found something…

Remedy – we take the DWG into a drafting view in Revit and downscale it

Noname

Wow – the DWG becomes visible…

Next step – export to DWG again:

Noname

In AutoCAD – flat as flat can be….

Back in Revit:

Noname.png

Yeah – we see stuff… and the precision is not too bad…

Noname

 

Life is good…

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

clr.AddReference(‘RevitNodes’)

Oops – our friend got technical – but the workflow seems interesting – find it here.

Something for the road…

Noname.png

More to come… Stay tuned, life is good…

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Unaware…

It’s been some time of quietness – the reason is that we were consumed with production work and not so much time has been left over for some creative thinking but – here we go – let’s dissect a workflow…

Goal is – we have a DWG that gives us outlines for a landscaping project and we want to convert all the different areas into floors for shaping the landscaping.

As expected the DWG looks like – well, a DWG you get from a consultant:

Noname

So – how do we get from here to there:

Noname

Step 1 – Dynamo and BimorphNodes:

Noname

Model lines in Revit:

Noname

Now we can isolate a loop and get a floor family created out of it:

Noname

Step 2: Dynamo again…

Noname

What we are doing here is pretty simple

  • collect the curves
  • join them together and create a surface
  • extrude the surface
  • create a family instance

And what we got – a Revit family with a free form element

Noname

The mystery of the free form element still need disambiguation but that is topc of another night

Noname

We’ll come to that – for now, life is good…

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment

News from the world

Our friend found this.

Dynamo 2.0 – big changes, lot’s of work in front of us…

Noname

Life can’t be better…

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment